Thursday, November 09, 2006

Confessions Of An Ex-Taxi Passenger (Pt. 2)


So yeah, remember how part one was about the various stories taxi drivers tell you? Strings of tales about them and their families.. I've always wondered how true these stories were..As much as I want to be an objective person, and I would like to believe their stories, but I really find it hard to!
I mean, why would a person tell a perfect stranger like myself, sensitive details about their lives? Well.. Because they can! Because they know I'm a stranger, I won't judge them.. And because it might not be the truth at all and they know they'll never see me again, and if they did.. I wouldn't remember..
(except for those I've taken more than once only by coincidence)..

So folks.. I started doing the same.. Telling tall tales..white fibs, whatever you want to call them.. My stories were a work of fiction generated by my imagination.. Each time my story would differ, my intentions from telling it would also differ, whether I do it to generate affection or seem like Miss tough cookie, or even just to add some excitement to the cab driver's life in those 15 minute rides..

I was engaged many times, I'd tell the cab driver about my fiancee.. If I were headed to the flower shop I would tell him I'm getting flowers for my fiancee's mom.. Thing is, these guys wouldn't just lend you an ear, but they will listen to you intensly with all their power and interest! There was this guy who was interested to hear how my friend tried to kill herself.. How I leave Jordan every summer to some country in Europe, how I'm half british, thats why my English is excellent.... I've told many stories.. Now, I'm not exactly a liar.. white lies would never hurt anyone.. And besides, it was all for the fun of it.. I got my satisfaction from the smiles on their faces the moment I step down from the car, knowing that I've made someone's day by telling them a story..

It all started one summer, when I came back to Jordan from my 3 month holiday in Muscat.. Now you should know, my memory is somewhat crap when it comes to names and directions.. So I'd take my first cab for the day, after I've just gotten home.. I start giving shitty directions and hoping that the name of the place or road would just pop into my head.. When the cab driver throws the wise-ass remark of "So..you aren't from around here, are you?"...

6 comments:

. said...

lol.

Blind Melon said...

lol?! Thats all you had to say! omg...could this reply be any more UNINTELLIGENT! :p ... hmph! lol back at ya!

Fast_HacKinG said...

OH GOD! Thanks it worked now!

AnyHOWZ, I have never experienced any conversation with taxicab drivers because I barely have a ride with one anyway. IT's not only taxi drivers who would bore you with their stories and at the end they curiously wants to just have a conversation with you as you are a lady and perhaps their stories make take your attention to them. Perhaps, to pity them? Or maybe just not to make you get bored all the way along to your destination? Or they could probably have this habit every time they had a passenger? OMG: I really don't know but I kinda feel being a taxi driver is something AWESOME :D ... yea yea it's my new dream anway *sigh and sarcastically rolling my eyes* :D

Luisa said...

In Jordan engineers work as taxi drivers if they are jobless ?
huh tell this to Omanis
coupla days ago to justify his theft the guy said he was there since 7am waiting
first of all i told him, never saw an Omani going to work so early, secondly, the mall opens at 10, wtf are you doing there
:p
they know me now and keep a file on me

those in sabco : you are the lady who used to stay in Hyatt then in Shatti ???
Yea
and why you didn't call me, gave you my mob ?
you are too expensive

in Carrefour :
shatti plaza la ?
no now am Khuwair
ah changed why
too much money
hehe [the guy smiles]

lulu [mostly from out muscat so no one speaks english] where ?
Khuwair near al akhtam
ahh ?!
[using hands] you know labour court, al hooti supermarket ?
hmmmm
ok go al khuwair from back lulu, then i show you

in muttrah
where from
europe
ingleees ?
no italian
ahhhh italian [thinking on the money to ask]
where working
company
ahha, married ?
no never
ohhh, i would like to marry from out
aha, me too my fionce is Arab, we will marry inshallah soon
cause you know women here are difficult
yes i know, better to pray God you get good wife soon
women from out no problem
well women is always problem
you never been married
no i told you
strange you nice woman
Balqis takes mobile and calls Nader pretending some urgent problem
Nader gets angry cause has important meeting
finally home Balqis takes a deep breath

Blind Melon said...

Oh my god Balqis! I love you! Thanks for sharing your own taxi experiences here!! :D

I only had one experience cause I only took the cab once here in Muscat, from the International Exhibition Center to Al Khuwier (when I first came to Oman), and all the way he was going on like a chatter box, so I started:

Taxi: So where are you from? (In English coz he assumed I wasn't from around here)
Me: Omani..
Taxi: (with his face turned to me now)No way!
Me: (in arabic omani)Yes! hahaha..
Taxi: (arabic now) Mashalah you are very pretty for an omani!!(Oops) I dont think I've ever seen an Omani girl who looks like you!!

Of course I was coming back from the exhibition, so I was in formal clothing..

He still didnt believe me, so I told him what my family name was (which happens to be one of the big family names here too - and my actual family name)

He was still in shock..

Then I thought I'd ease up on him.. He was in shock as is..

So I said: Well, my mom is Syrian..

So he goes like: Aaaah! Why didn't you say so in the first place! Explains alot! :D

He was one happy taxi driver..

Castelluca said...

lool..interesting! i'd love to take a taxi just once! ^_^

funny stories!